16 May 2012

Swords, Champagne and a Kiss

Last weekend, we spent the day in Franschoek with some of our favourite people. We started off the day at a farm we felt couldn't be missed, and is one of the great classics in the Franschoek area, Haute Cabriere

 One of our favourites - Image my own

We couldn't have asked for a better way to start a day of wine tasting! The experience all started with a personalised cellar tour by cellar-master Achim von Arnim

Quite by chance we stumbled upon it: on arriving at the cellar we asked casually if there was a tour. Luckily enough one had just started so we flew downstairs to join the group just in time. The stars aligned in our favour and Achim, who only does one tour on a Saturday when he is available, was our gracious host!

The tour started with a bit of history about Franschoek and the farm, how it all started, and Pierre Jourdan’s role in the farm's history. I would love to go into all the interesting detail, but like a good book – I won’t ruin it for you. You have to try it out!

The Arnim coat of Arms - Blood and Chardonnay - Image my own

The tour then took us into a beautiful cathedral style cellar, where Achim explained to us the different wines the farm produces, why they are so special and part of the Haute Cabriere family, as well the farms wine philosophy. The first wine we tasted was one of my personal favourites, the Pierre Jourdan Tranquille. A real easy drinking wine for any dinner party, afternoon drinks, lunch, okay, every occasion. 

 Beautiful Cellar - Image my own

The tour continued, and we sat down in the cellar auditorium for the much anticipated part of the tour, the Sabre. Who wouldn't get excited when a bottle of Champagne* and a Sword are involved.

The tradition of Sabre originated in the time of Napoleon when celebrating battle victories. According to legend, the cavalry (soldiers on horse-back) would ride at full gallop to one of the ladies holding up the bottle and with one swipe, behead the bottle. My experience did not include a soldier or a galloping horse but was just as exciting! 

It didn’t take long before I had volunteered and was wielding the famous Haute Cabriere sword and a bottle of delicious Champagne. Shortly after beheading the bottle I was knighted by the cellar-master and to top it off, got a kiss as well! Who knew a Saturday morning in Franschoek could be SO fun! 



No professional lighting, but you get the idea - Sword, Champagne, Kiss




Our day in Franschoek wasn't over just there,but that's a post for another day!

If you haven’t been, it is absolutely worth a visit – the cellar is something quite extraordinary as it is almost hollowed out into the hillside. Take a trip and let me know how it goes! 


 Beforelooking very nervous. After very proud!
Image my own. 

 Me and Achim, The mounted cork, The Cellar in the Hill.
Image my own.


xx C

Check out Achim's blog here - I've already bookmarked it!

Follow Haute Cabriere on Twitter here and Facebook here - you won’t be disappointed!

 


*Champagne, I know that only sparkling wines produced in the region of Champagne in France, can claim the title of"Champagne", and that all others are to be referred to as Cap Classique's. But in my mind, it’s Champagne and I have referred to it as such in my post above. Forgive me :)

1 comment:

  1. One of my favourite memories of Artists Cafe was Achim doing the sabrage from the top step outside on the verandah.... what fun

    ReplyDelete